2023- 2024 Budget Vote
Proposition #1: 2023-2024 Budget $24,094,600
Yes: 432 No: 95
Proposition #2: Haxton Public Library
Yes: 442 No: 89
Board of Education Members:
*Jackie Yunker-Davis - 450
*Pete Zeliff - 353
*Natalie Emerson - 351
Kyle O'Connor - 282
*Elected to three-year terms commencing July 1, 2023
**Carol D'Alba - 424
**Lynette Crawford - 421
**Denise DiMatteo - 409
**Jessica Baker - 407
**Janet Klotzbach - 47
**Elected to five-year terms commencing June 1, 2023
Voters must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident of the district for at least 30 days before the vote
Absentee Ballots are available upon request from the District Clerk at 585-948-5211.
Board of Education Candidates
Board of Education Candidates
Interested candidates are invited to pick up a Petition for Board Member Nomination form from the District Office, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 am and 3 pm. All petitions must be filed with the Clerk of the District no later than 5 pm on April 17, 2023.
Qualifications for membership on a school board include:
- Must be able to read and write;
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older;
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year;
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year;
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family;
- May not be a current employee of the school board; and
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Candidates are asked to include a photo and short autobiography along with their petition so the school district may publish it in its upcoming budget brochure.
Haxton Memorial Library
Voters to decide on library propositions
New York state education law allows libraries to place a funding proposition on school district ballots and requires school districts, at the libraries’ requests, to levy and collect taxes for libraries.
The libraries are separate legal entities from the school district, with their own funding and budgets. The amount of the tax levy collected by a school district for a library remains the same each year until the library requests a proposition to change that amount.
The school district does not endorse, control, or recommend any aspect of how the libraries spend money.
When Oakfield-Alabama Central School District residents vote on the proposed 2023-24 school budget, they will also have the opportunity to vote on a proposition to establish the Haxton Memorial Library as a public library and to levy and collect a tax in the amount of $156,280.
If voters approve the propositions, the school district would annually levy and collect taxes in the new amount for the libraries beginning in the 2023-24 fiscal year. The amount authorized for library services is listed as a separate line on residents’ tax bills.
Information can be found at https://www.haxtonlibrary.org/vote