2020 Budget Vote Info
As I am receiving the envelopes, I am separating the signed ones from the unsigned ones. The unsigned ones will remain sealed and kept in the locked ballot box. The signed ones are also currently being locked in the ballot box until June 9th.
When it is time to count (or shortly before 5 pm) the signed ones will be sliced opened and the ballots removed from the envelopes but not unfolded. The envelopes will be placed in a separate pile and will be kept as the “vote register” as required by law. Once opened and separated the ballots will then be unfolded and counted. We also keep the ballots for one year, locked in our safe, per law.
Voter privacy is a number one priority for us. We will not know how an individual voted.
The Board of Education of the Oakfield-Alabama Central School District will have three (3) vacancies to be filled in this year’s election. The new members will be elected to a three-year term commencing on July 1, 2020 and expiring on June 30, 2023.
UPDATE: The minimum threshold of signature requirements for Board of Education candidates has been eliminated; however, all other requirements to be included on the ballot still apply.
Qualifications for membership on a school board include:
- Must be able to read and write;
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older;
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year;
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year;
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family;
- May not be a current employee of the school board; and
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
All petitions are due to the District Clerk no later than May 11, 2020 at 5 pm.
In addition, please provide via email a brief narrative along with a small photo for our budget newsletter.
Please contact Tera Reinhardt at 948-5211, x 4209 if you have any questions.